A series of terrorist explosions rocked the Sayeda Zeinab district in the southern part of Syria’s capital Damascus. At least 83 people were martyred and almost 200 injured when two suicide bombers struck crowds gathered in the area of the first blast.
The first massive explosion was a car bomb that targeted a busy school street during rush hour, Syrian state news agency SANA reported citing local authorities. The blast was followed by two additional explosions carried out by suicide bombers wearing explosive belts, and targeted the crowds gathered at the site of the tragedy.
The attacks claimed the lives of at least 83 people, according to local media, while at least 178 were injured, many of them severely.
Media reports of the suspected coordinators of the blasts were detained by security forces in the Syrian capital, confirming that at least 80 people were killed in three explosions. Meanwhile, according to other reports, there could have been four blasts.
“ISIS” terror group has claimed responsibility for the bomb attacks in Damascus. The extremists said two of its suicide bombers blew themselves up in the Sayeda Zeinab district after detonating a car bomb, the Amaq news agency, which supports “ISIS”, reported.
Earlier on Sunday, dozens of people were killed and injured in a double bombing attack in Homs. The local governor said that 34 people have martyred in the explosions, while 110 others were injured.
The Syrian Foreign Ministry said the bombing was aimed at derailing the ongoing peace talks between Damascus and rebel forces, and called on the UN Security Council to condemn the attack.
Source: Al-Ahed news