Tasnim – Iran’s ambassador to the United Nations sent a letter to the Security Council last week in which he condemned the US’s support for the terrorist Mojahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO) and held Washington accountable for acts of terrorism carried out by the notorious group.
In the letter, sent to the UN Security Council on July 17, Gholam Ali Khoshroo said, “The Islamic Republic of Iran strongly condemns the US government’s illegal measures against the Iranian people, including its support for and financing of Monafeqin (MKO) as a terrorist group.”
Slamming the US backing for MKO terrorists as a violation of the international law and the UN Charter, the Iranian envoy took a swipe at American figures, including Rudy Giuliani and Newt Gingrich, for attending a June 30 gathering of the MKO terrorists, which he said is promoting violence against people of Iran.
He also decried the US government’s decision to remove MKO from the list of terrorist organizations back in 2012, describing it as a testimony to Washington’s double standards and selective policies in the war on terrorism.
The MKO – listed as a terrorist organization by much of the international community – fled Iran in 1986 for Iraq and was given a camp by former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. They fought on the side of Saddam during the Iraqi imposed war on Iran (1980-88). They were also involved in the bloody repression of Shiite Muslims in southern Iraq in 1991 and the massacre of Iraqi Kurds.
The notorious group is also responsible for killing thousands of Iranian civilians and officials after the victory of the Islamic revolution in 1979. More than 17,000 Iranians, many of them civilians, have been killed at the hands of the MKO in different acts of terrorism including bombings in public places, and targeted killings.